Tuesday 3 April 2007

Bill Blass Fashion Sketch



I wish I owned this Bill Blass sketch (top) which I found on New York Social Diary this week. Bill Blass has been heralded as an American Fashion Legend. Arriving in New York at 17 years of age he sold his sketches to fashion designers for $25.00 each (I'm sure they are alot more these days!!). He later took the American fashion scene by storm and most predominantly was noted as the man who defined American style. Sadly Bill Blass died in 2002 at the age of 79 but not before selling his company to two fashion executives in 1999 for an estimated $50 million US dollars. Today Bill Blass is a brand known and worn by the upper-class American society and one, which has over the years had many trying to follow in its footsteps.

Does anyone know anything further about his fashion sketches? Thanks for the book tip Ally.

5 comments:

a. said...

I love fashion sketches but only by certain designers. I don't own one by Blass although when he died a ton of them sold when the entire contents of his house was auctioned off per his wishes.

Have you read "Bare Blass"?
Excellent book by Cathy Horn from the New York Times published 2 years after his death. She spent a lot of time with him in his later years.

Anastasia said...

Beautiful sketch!!!
Great to see another aussie blogging!

The Peak of Chic said...

I agree with Alyssa- "Bare Blass" is very interesting. Also, you might be interested in the auction catalogue of his estate. He had a very refined sense of style!

Di Overton said...

I adore a good fashion sketch they are so fluid

The Curator said...

I actually have two Blass sketches, quite nice, but not as refined as the one you picture here. I'll send you images if you would like.

I agree about the book too.