Thursday 14 December 2006

Wonderful White






White, how wonderful it is!
The first house my husband and I bought (approximately 7 years ago) was an old Queenslander with huge wrap around verandahs and big trees all the way around it. Of course when we bought it, it needed alot of work as most Queenslanders do. We painted the entire house white including the original timber floors to everyone's horror. It looked amazing and not disimilar to the pictures above which I found in Domino Magazine and Elle Decor. Since painting my floor boards 7 years ago I have talked so many clients into doing the same thing and they all thought I was completely mad to begin with and then once they did it they were so thrilled. It certainly lightens up a dark space and breathes a whole new life into old houses.
I suggest a road paint or pavement paint for this application. Talk to your painter or hardware store about it or if you want to ask me any questions just ask me in the comments section below and I will answer back into this section.
Back soon.....

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great suggestion. Beautiful, beautiful images too. It looks like you have similar taste to Vicente Wolf.

Anna Spiro said...

I do love Vicente's work!!

Anna

kstyle said...

Hi anna,

Just discovered your blog and I featured your kate spade ornaments today with a loud shout to you. I've also listed you on my "morning coffee visits"Will be back to visit ofte. k

Anna Spiro said...

Thanks K. I just checked out your blog. It's really great!! I will add it to my list of blogs I usually check every couple of days. Thanks for the mention also. Look forward to chatting again soon.
Anna

kstyle said...

Anna I just realized you are from Brisbane. My family and I lived in Peregian beach just south of Noosa for a year before coming here to ashland. We had such a wonderful time and spent lots of time in Brisbane. We miss the beach, the birds, the parrots the cuckaburas and even the fruit bats flying in every night. Will never forget our year there. k

Maryam in Marrakesh said...

How pretty. I would not thought to do this. But does it require a lot of maintenance?

Anna Spiro said...

Hi Maryam,
I didn't find it required alot of maintenance. Sometimes if someone wore black soled shoes it soiled the floor a little however, it was easily wiped off. It is such a beautiful application to wooden floors.

Anna

Anna Spiro said...

Kstyle, I can’t believe that!! What a small world!! Perigian Beach is so beautiful!! My husband and I go up and stay at the Hyatt at Coolum every now and then which is near there!!! Isn’t that amazing!! Where did you visit when you came down to Brisbane??

Please keep in touch.

Anna

Anonymous said...

What is a Queenslander? Photos, please!

Anna Spiro said...

Hi Pink,

I might even post some pictures of our Queenslander we had. It is a timber house with huge wrap around verandahs typical in Queensland which is the state I live in. Queensland has a hot climate so these types of houses were built in the early 1900's to enable good airflow. They are very pretty houses but they do require alot of maintenance.

Anna

Tongue in Cheek Antiques said...

Fantastic!! The boldness of white with a tad of color thrown in at the right places!!