Friday 11 January 2008

Layers of Pattern

Image - Anna Spiro Guest Bedroom @ Ormiston House

Image - Elle Decoration - Liza Giles' Home via This is Glamorous

Image - XT Decor Mag

Image - Chris Chen Photographer via Desire to Inspire


Pattern layering in some people's opinion is over-the-top. I on the other hand feel that with a good eye mixing patterns is both a fun and exciting way to add personality to your home. If you have a set colour palette you are working with my advice is to select patterns within those colours therefore creating a central theme to work around. There really are no rules and the look is one of mismatch and nonconformity. A question often asked by my clients about pattern and mixing patterns is - "Is this going to date?" My answer is always "It only dates if you let date ie. let the look evolve over time by adding new bits to compliment old bits." One way to be able to have this look without worrying about the expense of recovering sofas and chairs once you tire of the look is to select a simple base like a plain for your upholstery and then add the patterns into the cushions, throws and accessories. This allows you to add and take away cushions/pieces when you feel like it. I have posted some of my favourite images above which display pattern layering. The top image is the guest bedroom in my old house which I decorated with pattern on pattern. The patterned quilt is a Douglas & Hope creation which I will treasure forever! I challenge you to be excited about pattern mixing. Be confident in your selections and don't worry if it doesn't match - that's the look!!!

22 comments:

RP said...

Anna the patterns in all these pictures are incredible. I was drawn to the Douglas and Hope quilt straight away. I cant stay out of that shop! I'm working on a patchwork quilt myself and this is great inspiration for layering patterns and mixing and matching colors.
Just brilliant food for creative thought!
MrsPotter

Jennifer said...

I agree about pattern mixing. The trick is just to go for it -- and not worry while you're going along!

Denise Kiggan said...

What beautiful pics. I have just bought an armful of vintage saris - with all their different patterns and I am looking forward to using these pic as inspiration for what I can do with them!

Alkemie said...

Anna, what a wonderful collection of photos! I love what you did with your old gues bedroom and the quilt is indeed gorgeous. I also liked the clip from XT Decor magazine and the last bedroom by Chrissie Jeffrie. Great examples of layering and color :-)

Unknown said...

Hi Anna
I love the colours that you used in the Guest Bedroom @ Ormiston House. What a cheerful room to wake-up in. Well done!!

Anna Spiro said...

Hi Mrs Potter - do send me pics of your quilt when you are done - I'd LOVE to see it!!
XO
Anna

Anna Spiro said...

Thanks Jennifer!
XO
Anna

Anna Spiro said...

Thanks Freshly Found - I love vintage textiles - so unique and beautiful! Good luck deciding what you are going to do with your pieces!
XO
Anna

Anna Spiro said...

Thanks so much Alkemie!!
XO
Anna

Anna Spiro said...

Thanks Patricia - it was a pretty room!!
XO
Anna

beth said...

Hi Anna,

I just want to thank you for putting my photos of my little footstool on your blog. I only just realised. I'm glad you like it - I'm pretty much an amateur in the design game as I'm sure you've noticed, but I've learnt a lot in the last three months from you and all the other blogs I've found through you. I read your blog every day and always find something I love. So thanks!
Beth

Anna Spiro said...

Thanks Beth - I thought you did a great job with the stool! I love your boat shed and can't wait to see it all evolve - the white paint looks fabulous!!
XO
Anna

Mélanie said...

as Patricia, I love this room ...
I love the mix and I can recognize some DG fabrics that I love

The Peak of Chic said...

I agree with you Anna, and you've done a wonderful job in your guest bedroom!

We Are Not Martha said...

I really really like the quilt in your guest bedroom. And the pillows. That whole room is adorable! If I was a guest, I'd never leave :)

Alya said...

I love the mixing of patterns. I mostly loved the one before the last.

katiedid said...

I love your pictures Anna! I think I like you r guest room best!:) I am now inspired to try some new things at my house!. So pretty.

phoenix said...

The thought of mixing patterns terrifies me - but these images all look so cheerful and happy!

RP said...

Will do Anna! If you check out my blog I've posted a pic that shows the progress so far.
MrsPotter
xx

Anonymous said...

Beautiful guest room. Thanks for the inspiration to mix it up a bit.

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

Love this, Anna! I always tell clients this too, it doesn't have to match. We just aim to have it "go", and lots of things work that way! Love love love these images!

Melissa

cathy hope said...

hi,

I have just stumbled across your blog, and there is one of my quilts in your guest room....

it looks great, if you don't mind I might post it on my blog?

douglasandhope.blogspot.com

regards

cathy hope
douglas & hope