Thursday 2 October 2008

Shannon's Absolutely Favourite Things


Today I'm so excited to show you some of Shannon Fricke's favourite things! Shannon is an Australian Stylist, Interior Decorator and has also written 3 beautiful books; Sense of Style: Space; Sense of Style: Colour; & Sense of Style: Colour & Space. Shannon has also recently started a blog. I love her style and her love of white and colour makes me feel like we may have been sisters in another life!! Let's see what she has to say about her favourite things...

"I've always been fascinated with colour and texture - whether applied to fabric or the fabric of one's life. It is the colour of the things that I collect (whether ornaments or experiences) that keeps me feeling alive and it is the texture of these things that enables me to relate, in a tactile way, to the environment that surrounds me.

This collection of colours and textures represents various aspects of my life and my influences. Selvedge magazine never fails to provide me with a plethora of inspiring ideas and this issue, with Frida Kahlo gracing it's cover, is my favourite so far. I've been in awe of Frida Kahlo's life and paintings for many years now - her work is stirring and layered - and represents my love of Latin cultures and colourful fashion ensembles!

I love to travel, and am always at the ready with my passport in one hand and a Luxe City Guide in the other - which never fails to help me really penetrate the city that I'm in - on a local level. I picked up this Tamar Mogendorff handmade fabric peacock on a recent trip to New York with my daughter Inez - the colour palette has inspired the decoration of my new home and the piece reminds me of a beautiful week spent in this beautiful city with my beautiful daughter.


My children are a constant inspiration for me - they are my guiding lights and keep me grounded. This picture was taken at my son's 2nd birthday - and reminds me of our days spent living at our fisherman's cottage in Sydney (also shown).

The postcard is of the painting - La Chambre Bleue by Suzanne Valadon. I just love the interior and way the colour and patterning work together.

It's always about decorating for me! The collection of fabrics and felt - in calming colour of green and blue (with a dash of yellow) just makes me smile at the end of the day - that's what all it's all about!"

I absolutely adore this collection Shannon - the colour combination is divine - so fresh and vibrant against those painted white floors! I absolutely LOVE it all. Thank you for sharing this with us!!

Nb. Click on image for a closer view.

Absolutely Favourite Things will appear here every Thursday so stay tuned!!

17 comments:

Unknown said...

i like......

Ness Lockyer said...

The peacock is fantastic

Sharnel said...

Shannon never fails to impress me.

Style Court said...

Gorgeous mix. I love the blues and greens with just a bit of yellow, and all the texture.

The Good Witch said...

I love the peacock feathery thing in the picture.is it a hand fan?

The Good Witch said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Courtney said...

WOW I love her picks. And the colors are fantastic.

Cowesett Construction Company said...

Shannon's favorite things look EXACTLY like my inspiration board for my wedding. All of the same colors!! www.14karatblonde.blogspot.com

I LOVE IT!! More inspiration!!

Creative Archive said...

Thats a wonderful inspiration board! Adding the yarn was perfect!

Carla said...

Hi anna, I love your blog and your style. Also I am big fan of Shannon Fricke. You have been tagged!
Take a look at my blog and you will see all the rules xv

eLIZabeth Floyd said...

Hi! This is a great post, thanks for asking Shannon Fricke to be a guest blogger.

Shannon Fricke said...

Hi Anna,
Thanks so much for including me in your 'Absolutely Favourite Things' post. I loved putting these bits and bobs together - it's been such a lovely reminder of all of the things that I love. So much so, that after I'd photographed it for you, I couldn't dismantle it for days. Everything just brings a smile to my face!
Sx

University of Iowa Meg said...

What's the link to her blog?

Brown Button Trading said...

oh Anna, possibly my favourite AFT yet, and um, embarrassed to say, butwhere have I been - thank you so much for introducing Shannon - i have seen her books before and I love but never look for her blog.Thank you xxx
PS - Happy birthday!! - tried to send you best wishes on your friday post but had computer issues and not sure it went through, so if not - hope you had a fabulous one! xx

MEADE DESIGN GROUP said...

Love the red frames

Down Comforter said...

so creative and beautiful!

Josephine Tale Peddler said...

Hello Anna
I love Shannon's work, style and skill with words. I'm a frequent visitor to her Blogspace. I also adore your Blog and find so much that inspires and fills me with delight. Thank you for creating such a lovely space for us to visit. x