Thursday 13 March 2014

New Things, New York & Happy New Year



Hello.  Happy New Year.  How is it March already?  I know its a cliché but time really does fly.  We've had a nice start to 2014.  Some good projects are on the go and we've been busy stocking up the store again after a busy Christmas period..  Olivia and I travelled to New York early February where we spent 10 days trudging around in snow and freezing conditions to find some wonderful things for Black & Spiro.  Some of my favourite finds can be seen above including vintage paintings and one-off textiles.  We still have things arriving weekly from the trip so make sure you pop into the shop for a visit if you are looking for something extra special.





Central Park was like, as one of my instagram followers said, 'a scene out of The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe'.  Pure Magic especially for 2 Aussie girls used to the unbearable humidity in Brisbane.



Visiting New York's vintage markets is one of my favourite things to do.  There is just so much and so little luggage space that making a decision on what comes and what has to stay is very difficult.


 
 
 

 
I usually always have a buying regret, and this trip was no different.  On our last day I found this wonderful book that I should have bought and now so desperately wish I had but alas, we had so much to get home and I had to leave it behind.






Olivia's first trip to the Big Apple and the weather certainly turned it on for her!  She was in snow heaven.



Bergdorf's incredible displays did not disappoint.  This painted fan installation was just randomly placed in a section upstairs in the store.  So much work and so much creative thought that must go into every single display project they produce.



For me, a trip to NYC wouldn't be complete without a meal at my fave Osteria Morini in Soho.  Simple, traditional, hearty Italian.  Love it so much.


 

We also visited Freemans for a bowl of warm soup after our visit to John Derian's divine stores just around the corner.  I was sad to see that Peels had closed just a few weeks prior to our visit!!




We loved catching up with Jamie Meares from Furbish Studio and her lovely assistant at Tipsy Parson.




This trip, we stayed in mid-town at The NoMad and I was so taken with the building that we looked out onto from our room and hotel rooftop.  One of my instagram followers informed me that it is the home of the very fashionable Isabel and Ruben Toledo!  Click HERE to read and see more about them and their seriously amazing home in the clouds!




Our busy week in NY came to an end.  We had a fabulous time and came home with lots of beautiful things and lots of great inspiration for our year ahead. 




Despite all that New York is, I was so happy to come home to this!
xxx
Anna

6 comments:

Gozi and Pop said...

What a wonderful trip you had. I don't know if I'll ever get to New York (I would love to go) so I quite enjoyed reading this post and seeing your pics.

pve design said...

Anna,
So lovely to see your escapades in NY. Would have loved to see you but I do hope your next visit for a chance to see you. I'd be happy to go get that book for you and hang on to it. I'd say rather than regret, that something better will be there next time.
The image of your dog is divine. He looks like he was waiting upon your return home.
pve

Brown Button Trading said...

the furbish and B&S girls meet = the decorating, styling, interiors goddess convention! x

Shell said...

You trip looked amazing Anna but there truly is no place like home. Wishing you and your family an adventure filled 2014 !! Shell - A Darlings Nest

mikky said...

Hi Anna,

If you are still interested in that book, you should check out this used book seller, I've bought a lot of books from here. I looked up your book and here's what I found:
http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?kn=english+household+furniture+georgian+period&sts=t&x=0&y=0

Not sure if any of these are it.

Looks like your trip was loads of fun. Central park absolutely looks like something out of the lion, the witch and the wardrobe! But there really is no place like home, it's hard to be away from our pets!

:)
mikky
www.todaloos.com

Debra Turner said...

Anna, I live in Manhattan and enjoyed your photos very much. I love Soho, but don't go down much until spring. The next time I'm in the neighborhood, I will check out your restaurant recommendations. They sound lovely.