Tuesday 30 January 2007

Fromental - Taking the World by Storm

Tim Butcher and Lizzy Deshayes above



Tim Butcher is the former Creative Director for the world renowned Chinoiserie house, De Gournay. He has also trained as a weaver and has had vast experience designing silks for the likes of Paul Smith and Ralph Lauren. Believing there was a broader niche to that which was being satisfied by other companies in the market place for hand painted wallpaper Tim and his wife, Lizzy Deshayes pooled their immense individual talents in 2005 to create hand made wallpaper company, Fromental. This multi-talented team intends to take the world by storm by establishing Fromental as a world leader in hand made wallpaper.

Butcher was recently quoted in The World of Interiors December 2006 edition as saying "I love it when wallpaper covers every surface, when it goes around the chimney and has a door cut into it. That's when it is not a painting - it's decoration - no matter how beautiful it is - and that to me is when wallpaper comes to life."

Using this ideology as a basis for their creations the pair have made the wallpapers to be all non-repeating designs conceived for entire rooms rather than just one wall - even though I would personally still use the papers in both sections and entire rooms.


Their unique ordering process involves providing the specific measurements of the area to be papered in order to customise the pattern and design to suit your particular space. You can expect to wait approximately 6-10 weeks for your special order to be processed and delivered.

I am currently considering some of the Fromental papers in the redesign of my office at Black & Spiro - my decision is still pending. More on that to come...


13 comments:

Jo Walker said...

Exceptional post Anna. Drool worthy. Have bookmarked the site for viewing over and over and over. I can't wait to see which papers are "calling" to you.

Jo Walker said...

Exceptional post Anna. I've bookmarked the site to drool over later. Can't wait to see you picks from this exquisite range. I posted earlier but it doesn't seem to have worked. Bravo again.

kim. said...

That second picture is heavenly!!!! Those colours are incredible, and that wallpaper is mesmerizing!

Anonymous said...

How to choose, how to choose. Is this the company that did Maggie Rizer's apartment in that Domino post a while back? Maybe that was hand painted.

Wouldn't that be lovely for a laundry room? Make one soil all one's clothes just to be able to do the wash!

Di Overton said...

Anna, have you considered hanging a piece of that paper in the same way they have in the photograph? Overlapping the ceiling and floor. I think it looks stunning and such a bold statement.

Pigtown*Design said...

I think that framing a section would also look great - like a large Chinese painting.

Style Court said...

As you know, I love Fromental! Can't wait to see if you use one of their patterns in your office.

Oh and Pink, the paper in Maggie Rizer's entry is from Gracie.

The Peak of Chic said...

I remember that article! And, I love their designs. You should go for it (and then post the pics for us to drool over)!

The Peak of Chic said...

I remember that article! I love their designs! You should go for it (and then post the pics for us to drool over)!

Pigtown*Design said...

I think that one panel of the paper, just framed, would make a great statement.

Anna Spiro said...

Thanks everyone for your lovely comments as usual. I still haven't made my mind up yet on which paper I am using so I will let you all know in due course. Thanks again.

design dna said...

devastating! so gorgeous!

benjamiser said...

so have you made a decision??

we're always on the lookout to put up some of our papers in places where people will see them...

info@fromental.co.uk