Tuesday 8 November 2011

Seaforth Cottage




Jane & Neville {above}






Janes Lilies {above}



Harry on the front steps {above},  He looks like he lives there!!


Me with Max and Charlotte {above}


I have long admired {actually, ever since I was 14 years old} the very pretty cottage which is located diagonally opposite my parent's house.  It is called Seaforth Cottage and was built C.1897.  It has been owned by Jane and Neville for the past 30 or so years and they are some of the most beautiful people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting.

As a young girl I would often talk about the pretty white cottage across the road.  I even told Brad when we were looking for our first house years ago that if that house ever came on the market then I would really, really love to live there.

I recently plucked up the courage and went over and introduced myself to Jane and Neville.  We sat on their front verandah and I asked them the huge favour of whether I could use their beautiful home for our upcoming Christmas/Summer photo shoot for our online store.  I explained to them that I had always loved their pretty cottage and I would often wish I could go inside to see what it was like and what lovely things they had furnished it with.  There was absolutely no hesitation and they offered their home to me with open arms.

One of the most beautiful things about Jane and Neville is their generous spirit.  Jane is actually a potter and an extremely talented one at that.  She holds classes for a couple of ladies in the street one morning a week in her gorgeous white timber shed at the back of the house.  You might have noticed the pottery animals on the verandah under our Christmas tree over at the online store.  Well, those are Jane's.  She has lined her entire verandah with her pretty and enchanting pottery animals.  I told her I wanted to take them all home with me!  She laughed.

I should also mention that next year Neville turns 100.  I really couldn't believe it when Jane told me. 

We had the most glorious day setting up our Christmas/Summer vignette on their front verandah and front lawn.  Did you notice the beautiful garden in the pictures?  It is amazing to say the least.  When we were there all the November lilies were beginning to flower.  It is just so beautiful and rambling and imperfect.  Just the way I like gardens to be.

I hope you enjoyed hearing a little bit about the beautiful house we used for our online vignettes this season.  I feel that Seaforth cottage was the perfect setting for our photo shoot.  It gave us that beautiful, lived-in, comfortable, old family house feel which is exactly what I wanted this season to reflect...a place where good times are shared and memories are made.


xx
Anna


Above are some of Jane's pieces.  They are so gorgeous!!

27 comments:

Faux Fuchsia said...

Anna, I LOVED their garden 1 million/10. It's everything a garden should be- slightly messy, full of old style blooms, cosy, lots of texture and no horrible destructive bush turkeys or other Old testament varmints. It had a wonderful feel to it.

Loved the day and enjoyed being part of the Magic x

pve design said...

Oh my gosh, I just love this story - the owners and the cottage. I really want to live to 100 teaching art and sharing memories.
I hope I can still blog all about it.
pve

Luciane at HomeBunch.com said...

Such an inspiring place and post, Anna!

If you read my blog you know I love cottages and post one every Tuesday. I think they're the ultimate "home sweet home". Sometimes I wish I lived in a cottage... life seems to be a bit sweeter!


Have a great day!

xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

lamb and blonde said...

Such a lovely cottage! And I just adore rambling gardens like that. I'm astonished that Neville is near the century mark! Wow, what an amazing couple and home.

Looking forward to seeing your Christmas vignettes! Cheers!

Ann said...

Thank you for the wonderful background story on this sensational beach cottage. It was so sweet that it actually brought a tear to my eye. Jane and Neville must spend a lot of time tending that garden and keeping up the cottage, as it appears very well kept. That is probably part of what keeps them so young.

Rebecca said...

What a darling cottage! I love it. It is picture perfect!

K. said...

lovely photos!;)

Cat said...

love this story ana!
Cat
PS how wonderful they must certainly be. And 100???!!! No way!

Villa Anna said...

I absolutely loved that story Anna :)

Anna :)

Vickie H. said...

OMG! I love that dog she did! They look like really lovely people! And a sweet, sweet cottage.

freefalling said...

I can't believe he is nearly 100!!
He could easily pass for 30 years younger!

Michelle {Jarrah Jungle} said...

That would have taken some courage to ask, and I bet when they said yes you wished you had asked sooner! That's fantastic I hope the shoot goes well.

Kate Lewis said...

Her ceramic animals have so much personality. Super fun!

Milo and Mitzy said...

Gorgeous photos, Love the photos of you and the kids. Have a great day. Amy x
http://www.miloandmitzy.blogspot.com

Idehadas said...

Maravilloso !!

miss b said...

What a lovely house and garden - so very pretty!

http://missbbobochic.blogspot.com/

Steve & Em Anderson said...

What a gorgeous home and couple! I just want to give them a big hug :)

Fiona said...

The whole shebang--including Jane and Neville--looks like something out of a storybook. I love that Jane is a sculptor, and Neville looks quite dashing for 99. Thanks for sharing!

Isabel Magnasco said...

I thought It was your very own house !!!

Beautiful story !!! And this vignette is my favourite,

how nice to see a decoration for a warm xmas.

I live in Buenos Aires, so we share the seasons !!!

Unknown said...

So adorable! I'm such a sucker for great flower gardens surrounding entire homes. And love white houses!!

annie@mostlovelythings said...

What a beautiful story you've told here...to photograph in a house with so much history only makes sense. You look fabulous in that hat, btw!

Debra Turner said...

Lovely bright cottage and flowers, not to mention the amazing residents. Did you get any tips from Neville on how to stay so healthy? It 's one thing to live to be 100 and another to look as good as he does.

Shell Sherree said...

How beautiful ~ thank you for telling this sweet and lovely story, Anna! What kind and creative souls. {And a pretty kitty as well.}

EL at home... said...

Here's to Jane & Neville, what an inspiration!! Their charming home was the perfect backdrop for your equally charming Christmas shoot too..!

Hilla Hryniszyn said...

lovely post, the house and people bring such a positive vibe :)
take a look at my blog:) if u like it, follow me
invegielfair.blogspot.com

Master a Market Stall said...

What a beautiful and warm place to be in! Such a sense of belonging and sweetness!

Anzu said...

This just looks so idyllic and an inspiration for old age. Would love to hear more of Jane and Neville's story.