Wednesday 11 February 2009

An Alternative



These tough economic times call for alternative, less expensive options when decorating our homes.

I usually like to have fresh flowers at home each week but I must admit I have been restrictng myself from buying fresh flowers in an attempt at being less extravagant and a little more budget conscious.

However, cutting back on beautiful fresh flowers from the florist doesn't mean we have to go without! It just requires a little more effort on our own behalf.

If you too love having fresh flowers/foliage in your home this is what I suggest.....


Image - Francios Hallard via Moo Management

Head out into your garden and see what you can find. I went out into my garden today and came back inside with some wonderful foliage from my Travellers Palm. It really is amazing what you can find and don't be too picky. Just grab a large bunch so that when you get it inside you can bulk it up in a vase/jug.

I thought this picture {top} would inspire you....I love the blue and white jars filled with lots of beautiful green leaves...so fresh and so gorgeous and by the looks of it these arrangements have been created just by using fresh garden foliage!!

BTW - Courtney has offered another wonderful alternative to fresh flowers over at Style Court this week too.

10 comments:

Tina { Luphia Loves... } said...

what a great idea! thanks for sharing anna! :)

Style Court said...

Anna -- I'm with you. Fresh leaves, branches etc. are always the best when flowers are not an option!

Juz said...

I love those jars.
:)

Irene said...

I love this kind of post:by all means let us keep our style!

Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Great idea! It's amazing what we can find in our own gardens, isn't it? :-) Susan

Kathleen said...

Love this!

I do it all the time in my garden. My husband calls it "my yard debris"! I especially like variegated leaves and tree or bush branches.

Thanks for the reminder!
Kathleen
http://13things.typepad.com/

Maryam in Marrakesh said...

Gorgeous images!

Sharnel said...

I've been using our magnolias in the house. They only last a day, but when you've got 20 or so trees you can afford to replace them.

Susannah said...

Hello, Just stumbled upon your blog...lovely read,
Susannah x
Malphi

Pearl Maple said...

Do enjoy visiting your blog full of inspiration. Very much apprecaited when surrounded with packing boxes and a move pending over the weekend, but full of hope for fun times at the new little cottage nearer the beach.