Tuesday 14 April 2009

Visiting Auckland - Part 1


Over Easter my family and I visited Auckland, New Zealand - the city of sails. What a pretty city it is. Perched on the harbour, the city isn't large which I found to be quite lovely as it was easy to see everything within the few days we had there.

I found the houses to be particularly charming. The streets were lined with beautiful old trees and the weather was so cool and refreshing coming from a long hot Brisbane Summer.

Over the next couple of days I thought I would take you on a little virtual trip to Auckland by posting some photos I took of this charming town and a few favourite little places I found whilst we were there.

I very much liked the beautiful old houses in Ponsonby {as pictured below} which is very central and has a lovely view over the city. We walked back to our hotel through the streets of Ponsonby and I took a few photos of a couple of houses which took my fancy.












In Ponsonby we ate dinner at Prego, one of the most established Italian restaurants in Auckland.


I found this pair of vintage chandeliers in a shop in Ponsonby which I have emailed to one of my clients for consideration. They are very pretty I must say!

Unfortunately most of the shops were closed in this area when we visited on Sunday due to the Easter weekend however, I do plan to visit Auckland again soon and I will definitely be returning to Ponsonby for a more detailed visit!!

26 comments:

Amanda said...

Such beautiful photos Anna! I can't wait to share more of your trip. My brother visited Auckland for the first time two weeks ago (though it was for work unfortunately) but he also loved it there.

Happy Easter. xx

abeachcottage said...

I can see I would love Ponsonby, love those old white weatherboards...sigh

oh and the old chandelier is gorgeous, wish I had found that

Sarah
abeachcottage

Unknown said...

I love that city, it's so pretty and cool at the same time.
We lived there for 2 years during the Americas cup and we miss it every day.
Saw that you live in Brisbane, i have one of my dearest friends and her family in Brisbane, hope that we can visit them some day.

Fabulously French said...

Great post, but then I am biased as my family live in Auckland and I used to live in Ponsonby.

Bonne semaine

Leeann

Mr. Peacock said...

Oh my gosh...
I love that vintage chandelier—very lovely!
And so is blog!

Megan said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed your trip to Auckland; the tree lined streets you posted are one of my favorite parts of this city!

Ness Lockyer said...

My Husband and i have been talking about a visit to NZ as his Dad is from there. It looks beautiful and I love the houses you chose. I will be watching your next posts carefully and taking notes.
Ness xx

Meg said...

I lived in Ponsonby when I lived in Auckland, it's so charming! All of the homes are quaint, and most of them have been done up with a great modern twist! The furniture and design shops are so great in that area!! :)

yolanda said...

Hello, i have just created my own blog from decoration:ahhhlaladeco.blogspot.com, i hope you will like it. I visit yours one frequently; and i actuall love it, so i have included you into my favorites blogs....you are welcomer to do the same if yor want, and please feel free to make any coments or suggestions.

Yolanda

ADOREDVINTAGE said...

That chandelier is so lovely! Oh whoever gets it is one lucky lady!

Laura Trevey said...

Just popped in to see your posts! Love the bunny ears from the post below... How Cute!!

Caroline said...

I love that tree lined street - so gorgeous!

Dione said...

Adorei! Muito bonito!
I love it! So beatiful...

Beijos...

Anonymous said...

What a charming place! And that chandelier... WOW!
marcie

A Gift Wrapped Life said...

That tree-lined street looks so lovely....looks like a wonderful place to visit. Happy to hear you had a refreshing weekend away.

LIBERTY POST EDITOR said...

It looks a little Key Westish slash New Orleanish. Lovely. Thanks for sharing!

Jolena said...

Welcome back and yes, the chandelier is just lovely...

Waxy said...

That chandelier is gorgeous!!! Now I have a new dream - beautiful milk glass chandelier! Thanks for posting!

Barbara said...

Very beautiful photos! I would love to visit your part of the planet one day :)

Donna said...

I hope this is not a duplicate comment. My other one kept disappearing!
Pleased you liked Auckland:) I live on the North Shore over the bridge. Did you get to Devonport? It's across the Harbour from the city and is pretty & old much like Ponsonby.

Sanity Fair said...

Very pretty chandelier. I love seeing the images of Auckland! I haven't been there in years (live in the U.S.) but I have such fond memories.

Kasey said...

im so jealous. my parents are in New Zealand right now visiting.
looks beautiful
xo

Sharnel said...

Ponsonby looks so quaint. I'm sure it was a lovely place to visit.
And those chandeliers! They are beautiful!
x

ALWAYS CHASING said...

I am going to Auckland mid next month with my partner, I am very excited to hunt down somke of the beauties you have found :) Thanks for sharing.

Barbara said...

Oh I miss Ponsonby and my hairdresser after 28 years as his client.

On your next visit you must go to Didas wine bar in Ponsonby. They also have a nice deli next door.

MrsDesperate said...

Nice post. We are a Brisbane family currently living in Auckland, near Ponsonby. I walk along that tree-lined street several times a week, and never fail to enjoy it. The leaves have now turned orange and red, and the streets are littered with them. Gorgeous. I'll look forward to seeing more of your photos!