Thursday 16 April 2009

Visiting Auckland - Part 3












Taking a ferry out to Waiheke island is a must do when visiting Auckland. We arrived at this beautiful island after a 40 minute boat trip across Auckland Harbour. Upon arrival we jumped straight into a taxi which took us on a very short tour of the island before dropping us at Mud Brick Winery where we enjoyed a long lunch amid beautiful surroundings.

I particularly loved the houses on Waiheke. There are some extremely beautiful new modern homes as well as some gorgeous renovated beach cottages which New Zealanders call Bachs.










This house above was my absolute favourite house which we spotted on Waiheke. It was very hard to get photos of it as it is surrounded by the most beautiful trees and gardens. Can you spot the outdoor fireplace? It overlooks the beach and bay. I absolutely loved this house!! What is it about simple white cottages with black and white stripe awnings?! They get me every time!!



This house and the one below were right down on the waterfront with a pretty, narrow laneway in front of them.


Waiheke's beautiful vegetation is certainly what makes this island so special. As you can see from the photos I have posted above there is no shortage of beautiful trees and gardens. I think this place is heaven on earth!

18 comments:

~Grace Happens~ said...

Wow. I totally agree, those pics are heavenly!!!!

Unknown said...

It looks simply wonderful, you must have had an incredible week and hopefully you can cherish all these memories for a long time.
The world is such an incredible place, I hope certainly to see more of it and maybe one day I'll make it towards Australia and New Zeeland!
You live in a lovely country!
We have all our family in Europe and that makes it therefore our mainly destination....
XX
Victoria

Megan said...

Anna! You hit all my favorite spots!! I was just at Mudbrick a week ago and posted about it too- it is just the most magical place for dinner. I love the picture you got of the chandelier!!

ALWAYS CHASING said...

I cannot wait to go!

Amanda said...

I spotted the black and white awning straight away! Isn't it gorgeous! It looks so similar to the home in Country Living, I think it was the same issue your holiday home was published.

alice said...

These homes and gardens are spectacular. What a beautiful setting!

Arianna Belle said...

Looks gorgeous! Makes me want to plan a trip there!

cassandra said...

heaven on earth is right! you had me with that chandelier - but the lush landscapes are killing me! i'm so ready for spring to really be here so it can feel like this in the states :)

Fabulously French said...

I also adore Waiheke Island, it is such a great island, you are making me a little homesick!

L x

Sarah Bradley said...

This place looks like Heaven on Earth. So beautiful and what a relaxing Easter!

Esther Diehl said...

Oh!

This is all so beautiful and gorgeous. I'm sort-of wishing I had gone to New Zealand while I was living in Australia.


Just means I need to go back, I suppose.

Anne Marie said...

Again- photos are great~
and I certainly cannot imagine the upkeep on that one meticulous garden....but it is stunning! absolutely blessed you are to have been there

I am really enjoying "this trip" of yours....

My Notting Hill said...

Love these houses - especially how the one is set down from the road.

Anna Alexopoulos said...

Oh my! That first house....amazing. Do they need a house sitter. Please, sign me up. It is absolutely breathtaking!

Alkemie said...

Wow, the scenery and the homes are fantastic! That first home and the bay with all of the boats is so beautiful! thanks for sharing this piece of paradise :)

Cheers,
Karen O.

Barbara said...

We had an outdoor fireplace when we lived in Auckland. They are really useful in Summer where the nights aren't as warm and balmy as Queensland.

You should try Te Whau vineyard for lunch next time you visit. They have an amazing wine list...or they did when we ate there.

Clare Carter said...

I had a wonderful lunch at Mud Brick with my sister and my little boys.Its gorgeous and the island is magic.Did you walk down to the beach and see the tree seat??I have a fantastic photo of my then five year old sitting in his tree throne : ) Mud Brick also have a gorgeous cottage for rent.Friends just spent easter in it and highly recommend it.Glad you had a wonderful time.

kadler said...

This looks absolutely gorgeous. It's officially on my "must visit" list.