Sunday 1 May 2011

Simple Pleasures & Lovely Things

My father has never been the best gift organiser/giver.  However, he recently returned from an overseas surfing trip with a bag full of amazing shells for my mum.  Some he found on the beach and some he bought from local men in dug-out boats.  My mother absolutely loves them and has placed them on a table in their entry with other lovely things she has collected over the years and some fresh flowers she picked from her garden.  These shells will certainly be the gift that keeps on giving as my mum will enjoy and cherish them forever.  Isn't it wonderful how the simplest things have made the most special and heartfelt gift.


Whilst browsing through Cressida Campbell's book today I couldn't help thinking how similar some of her vignette wood-block prints are to this vignette of mum's above.  As I have said before, there is something so familiar to me about Cressida Campbell's work.

I feel like I have lived in the rooms and spaces she depicts in her wood-block prints.  Maybe that's the charm.  Maybe her paintings make me feel at home.  She paints bowls filled with fruit, vases filled with flowers and it all looks so effortless and comfortable.  That's exactly how I want to live. 

image 1 & 2 - anna spiro, image 3 - photo taken by anna spiro of painting in cressida campbell's book

16 comments:

tinajo said...

I absolutely love that first pic! :-)

pve design said...

Recently, I had the pleasure of touring the home of Jasper Cropsey, a painter of the Hudson River School and his home had objects lovingly placed about and I thought how that transcends time. Our homes are like seasons, changing landscapes of objects we love.
Objects found in nature and gathered or given all placed in honor of what surrounds us.
Beautiful connections to beautiful paintings.
pve

Naturally Carol said...

I think you get some of your amazing sense of style and colour awareness from your mum! The shell pink with those dark inky blues are beautiful.

Benita said...

Merci Anna de m'avoir fait découvrir Cressida Campbell. J'adore ce qu'elle peint et sa façon de le faire. Superbe.

The enchanted home said...

Very true....those simple gifts are someties the ones we treasure the most because we know they came from the heart, they had a meaning behind them, a story to tell. That is why they will be treasured and cherished. I love the picture of how they were displayed..just lovely!

Simple Daisy said...

Lovely first image!! So petty:):)
ps...i'm having a little give-away on my blog! Stop on over if you have a minute:)

Will @ Bright.Bazaar said...

I love that blue and white vase, Anna.

Mary Ann Pickett said...

That painting would make an unbelievable fabric. LOVE it.

Heather Peterson said...

Love this post. I'm always interested int he emotional side of design, and you get right to it here!

Heather
loveyourspace.blogspot.com

Rose said...

Oooooooh, that little box....WANT!

Linda@ Lime in the Coconut said...

Beautifula, restful and even soulful vignette.

Yep...the simple things.

meenal bishnoi said...

That is a beautiful vignette in the first image!! there is indeed a similarity between the two..have a lovely week ahead, anna..do visit my blog when you have a moment! xx meenal

Faux Fuchsia said...

Took the baby to your shoppe yesterday to gaze into the window and get used to Beautiful Furniture and Homewares. I love a good shell. Let's catch up sooooon x

Sarah said...

Adore the first photo - do you sell the blue & white vase? if so I'd love to purchase one!
Regards Sarah

Alicia said...

her work (beautiful) makes me thing at Bonnard.

Keri said...

oh
my
gosh

That first photo is absolutely beautiful. I love still life like shots

so glad I just found your blog